Beer Packaging: Part Two

Today I thought I’d give you update you on the second stage of my beer branding project. This assignment has two deadlines: one for the label design and one for the packaging. In part one I walked you through the brainstorming process, showed you my visual research and sketches, and mocked up a rough label on the bottle.

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 10.59.09 AM.png

I knew from my rough mockup which kinds of typefaces I wanted to use. My first step was to go on websites such as FontSquirrel and 1001 Fonts to download fonts that matched my vision. I usually grab quite a few because you never know what will work until you try it. Then I installed all of them and did a type test in Illustrator (above). You can see that I decided on the drippy type early on but it took a little longer to find a complimentary font for the “monster” part.

bg before and after

I wanted to create a spooky mood so I used Photoshop to edit this swamp photo for the background of the label. I masked off half of it so you can see what it looked like before I made my edits. Later I went back and used the burn tool to darken some of the tree trunks to make the text show up.

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.15.32 AM.png

I used a scrap piece of cardstock and some tape to create a template for the bottle’s neck label. Then I took a photo with my phone, imported it into Illustrator, and traced the shape with the pen tool. I called my fictional brewery Pins & Needles Brewing Co. to reference the scary story theme of the beer. It didn’t fit perfectly but the misalignment didn’t end up being noticeable in the photos.

Screen Shot 2016-02-15 at 11.18.48 AM.png

After converting my type to outlines and tweaking some of the letters, I created a new Illustrator document with two artboards because I knew I wanted to add lighting effects to the beer name but not my mice type. This allowed me to visualize these parts separately and bring them into Photoshop as different layers. I had to comply with alcohol branding regulations for the size, placement, and content of my small type.

Beer ad

After applying my labels, I photographed the bottle and created a series of mockups using Photoshop and Illustrator. These included the ad you see above as well as a coaster, beer pull, and promotional item. I have to admit that I’m not completely happy with how my photography and ad turned out. However, that is something I can redo in the studio once I finish the packaging (box, hang tag, etc) portion of the project to make it look great for my portfolio.

I hope you enjoyed seeing the process I went through to create this beer label! Stay tuned for part three where I will show you how I design and photograph the packaging.

Till next time,

Rebecca

Advertisements

Share Your Thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s